Travel Information for Current J-1 Scholars

Traveling In J-1 Status Outside Of The U.S.

General Advice

Make several copies of all of your immigration documents. This includes all of DS-2019’s, I-94 record, and the pages in your passport showing your photo, birth date, passport number, expiration date, and visa. Keep one set of copies in your carry-on luggage, one set in your checked baggage and leave a set with someone who can send them to you if needed. If you received a paper I-94 arrival document upon your last entry to the U.S., it will be collected by the airline officials when you check-in for your international flight. You will receive a new electronic I-94 arrival record when you re-enter the United States.

J-1 scholars should make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services for a travel signature on your DS-2019. Please make these arrangements several weeks before you travel.

To Re-Enter The United States You Will Need The Following:

  1. Valid passport (not expiring within 6 months of re-entry to the U.S.)
  2. Valid J-1 visa
  3. Valid SEVIS form DS-2019 with a valid travel signature from ISSS and all other DS-2019’s related to your current stay in the United States
  4. Copy of invitation letter
  5. Proof of financial support, if not employed by the University
  6. Recent letter from Department confirming current status at the University

See the additional information below for more advance issues for travel:

International Student & Scholar Services

International Students

CU Denver

Student Commons Building

1201 Larimer Street

Suite 1119

Denver, CO 80204

International Scholars

CU Denver

Lawrence Street Center

1380 Lawrence Street

Suite 932

Denver, CO 80204

International Students & Scholars

CU Anschutz

Fitzsimons Building

13001 East 17th Place

Ground Floor: STE. EG305, EG305A, and EG306

Aurora, CO 80045

CMS Login