Getting Started

The International Scholar Services unit assists the various CU Denver and Anschutz HR and Immigration Administrators in bringing international professors, researchers, postdoctoral fellows, short-term scholars, specialists, and international visitors for a variety of professional activities.

Most international applicants will need paperwork from the university in order to apply for an appropriate visa to work as an employee or visit the campus. CU Denver/Anschutz hosts scholars in the B-1/WB, J-1, H-1, TN, O-1 & E-3 visa categories. International applicants who have access to F-1 Optional Practical Training, F-1 Curricular Practical Training, J-1 Academic Training, or an Employment Authorization Document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Service can also be employed by the University.

Services for Administrators

  • Advice on choosing the best visa category to accommodate the department and scholar’s objectives
  • Employment-based visa application processing for international scholars and their dependents
  • Advice on sponsoring a scholar for permanent residence
  • Workshops on “How to Hire” for university administrators
  • Update sessions for administrators

ISSS has created the following comparison charts as a place to begin considering the various categories. For further questions or discussion, please contact an International Scholar Advisor.

Please see HR's policies regarding hiring. To find the guide on Hiring International Applicants, click the link below, choose 'policies' and scroll to 'Guide to Hiring International Employees'

E-Verify Program: The University of Colorado is an E-Verify employer.