The Application Period for this Grant has Closed.
CU Denver faculty interested in adopting, adapting, or creating Open Educational Resources (OER) for a course or series of courses are encouraged to apply for stipends provided to CU Denver by the Colorado Department of Higher Education OER Grant program.
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching and learning materials that are freely available and licensed to be shared and adapted. There are many advantages to using OER in your courses, including cost savings to students, support of academic freedom and open pedagogy, and addressing the lack of diversity or equity in traditional textbooks and learning materials.
1. Individual Courses ($1500)
Faculty who wish to adopt, adapt, or create OER in a course can apply for a $ 1,500 stipend. This category is meant to provide cost savings to students by replacing a textbook or another course material with a free and open OER alternative. OER also contributes to the equity-serving mission of the university. As such, priority for these awards will be given to courses with high enrollments, core courses, and/or prerequisite courses.
2. Series of Courses ($1500-$4500)
2-3 faculty within a department can apply for up to $4500 to adopt, adapt, or create OER for a series of courses. Funds will be distributed equally among all applicants, $1500/person. Some examples of projects could be:
Departments may choose to use this opportunity to begin work toward developing a z-degree (a degree that can be completed without required textbook purchases) for which they can apply for additional funding from the CDHE.
1. Written plan for implementation (template will be provided) to be submitted by May 3, 2024, as well as either:
2. Participation in a panel where awardee/s will discuss the experience of locating, adopting, and teaching with OER (as appropriate). We will provide more information about this in spring 2024
3. Awardee/s will record a video for the OER website with reflections about adopting/adapting/creating OER.
Half of the grant funds will be released upon receipt of the Implementation plan and half upon completion of the faculty panel or reflection video.